[NTLK] Misc. Questions on 2.0 Devices

From: Alexandre Enkerli (aenkerli_at_indiana.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 21 2001 - 16:49:34 EDT

Hello all!

I just received an MP120 that I bought from a fellow NTLKer [Thanks again
Anthony!] and I finally have what I need to make my MP130 the complete
solution I need for fieldwork.
"Two-point-o, way-to-go!"
[Yeah, I'm jealous of 2.1 devices...]

Here's a few questions. They'll probably sound like newbie questions
although I've been using my MP since it came out, but so be it. And if all
the answers are in the FAQ, well, sorry!!

-Is there a restriction on the type of batteries I can charge in a 2.0
device? I know 1Ah NiCads work and I think I remember NiMHs as also
possible but what about rechargeable alkalines? Any electrical hazard there?
-Would it be a problem if I plugged the adapter (H1300 7V) to a 220V plug
using a cheap standard converter? It's rated from 100-240V at 50-60Hz so
I'm guessing it's ok. I'll be going to Mali soon and using the adapter
there would be really convenient.
-Is there any convenient way to merge notes from two backup files? How
about other parts of the system?
-Are there limitations on System Update versions to the 120 due to the
System RAM size?
-Is it just because of the way they were used or are the screens of the 120
and 130 somewhat different?
-Why are there two holes with a piece of metal showing through them
undereath the bottom-left foot of 2.0 devices?
-Is there a cure for 2.1 envy? ;-)

Thanks!
Alex

Alex Enkerli
Ph.D. Candidate
Department of Folklore and Ethnomusicology
Indiana University