Re: [NTLK] German MP120? (Was Another MP120 Question)

From: Michael J. Hußmann (michael_at_michael-hussmann.de)
Date: Sat Sep 22 2001 - 12:27:30 EDT

Samuel Jacobson (jacobson98_at_earthlink.net) wrote:

> It strikes me as interesting that, if the unit is a German model, that it
> has what appears to be a fully English OS. Is it possible switch NOS, or
> would this require a hardware along with software change?

Sam,

as far as I know, switching between localized versions involves switching
ROMs.

> An curious enigma, yes?

Not much of an enigma, I would think. After all, the Newton was supposed
to go wherever you go, including when travelling abroad. So if an MP120
needed to comply with German BZT regulations if used in Germany (suppose
you wanted to send a fax from a German hotel room), it would make sense
to apply for the BZT's approval for all models, including US Newtons
(which I am fairly sure your MP120 is).

- Michael

Michael J. Hussmann

E-mail: michael_at_michael-hussmann.de