[NTLK] AW: $50.00 wireless Internet for Newton.

From: Johannes Wolf (jwolf_at_xe.estec.esa.nl)
Date: Mon Sep 24 2001 - 11:15:26 EDT

Hi John,

I think there is a confusion between TCP/IP and Ethernet. It really doesn't have to be anything related to ethernet but =
since ethernet is a common place to have appletalk (MacIP) people confuse the two quite a bit.
[Johannes Wolf] Ethernet is the medium or hardware layer (thin or thick ethernet, UTP or STP), while TCP/IP is the so called protocol layer (according to the so called 7 layer ISO/OSI model)

"But now that I think about it, I don't think that the Newton has the ability
to use MacIP. The only way to make an Ethernet connection that seems
possible is through the use of an Ethernet card. I don't see any MacIP
choice anywhere."
[Johannes Wolf] When you connect your Newt via LocalTalk or Ethernet to your Mac AFAIK AppleTalk is used.

I do thank Laurent for the information about the newton not being able to handle MacIP.
 [Johannes Wolf] Next step: I already heared that it is possible to transmit TCP/IP packets within Appletalk.
And logically NIE on your Newt offers to create a (TCP/IP) connection using LocalTalk

 It's complex to try to explain but I'll try....

If you have used phonenet connectors you might know what I'm talking about.
[Johannes Wolf] I know PhoneNet: it is lets say a cheapo version of LocalTalk, using the telephone cable hardware and accepting a lower transmission rate. The protocol is again AppleTalk.

Sony has a device that is meant mainly for home modems. Basically it's a 900Mhz cordless system that you plug into your =
wall and another wireless end into your laptop's Modem.
[Johannes Wolf] Thats the point: different to LocalTalk (where pure digital voltage levels are transmitted RS-422) here you have tone frequency signals: one frequency for logic High and another frequency for logic Low.
Thus I would say that you cannot connect this wireless device directly to a LocalTalk connection... you need a modem inbetween.

My idea is to use these for localtalk phonenet connectors. Since the receivers are there to basically transmit informati=
on back and forth whether it's modem a phone or data via phonenet. With a internconnect port I ordered (thanks to you gu=
ys for giving me the link). I'm creating a 5v out for any external device (such as this wireless 900Mhz transmitter).

In order to get the internet on the newton wireless via this method, I would need to make sure there was some way to get=
 internet via the serial port on the newton from another computer setup to host via Macip (or other localtalk compatible =
internet method).
[Johannes Wolf] NIE also offers a direct serial connection to a host computer.

I have confirmed that a mac can be setup to route TCP/IP (internet protocol) through localtalk (serial ports) and to othe=
r macs on the network (although the setup is not 100% known at this point).
[Johannes Wolf] As I sayed.
So my next issue is finding a way to have th=
e newton say "Oh ya there's TCP/IP protocol being transmitted over the localtalk port. I want to use it".
[Johannes Wolf] And I think you will need a modem between the Newt and your wireless box...

Cheers
Johannes