Re: [NTLK] Newton 2100: Internet over localtalk to mac?

From: J¿rgen Riishede (riishede_at_get2net.dk)
Date: Mon Sep 24 2001 - 18:08:30 EDT

Subject: Re: [NTLK] Newton 2100: Internet over localtalk to mac?
Sent: 24/9/01 22:18
To: newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net

To whom it may concern!

I see that there is many good proposals about how to get access to =
Internet. But there could bee some confusions about the topic. I am =
no expert on the subject so forgive me if somebody catch me in giving =
bad advice! But any way - maybee an example could help some off you =
out there to get your newton on a network.

My own IntraNet:

My Newton MP 2100 has a ethernet card. In the prefs under AppleTalk I =
have two settings:
Number one is "Connect using EtherTalk" (AppleTalk over Ethernet).
Number two is "Card Farallon Enet PC Card" (because I use a Farallon =
Card).
It is all that is needed for getting access to my IntraNet (Ethernet =
Network) using NCU and other connection software with AppleTalk.

In InterNet Setup (NIE 2.0) I have made one setup called Intranet =
TCP/IP (and one for PPP).
In the IntraNet setup I have made the following choices:

Configuration: Manual (because i have no DHCP server)

Card: Farallon Enet PC Card (This is the same as choosen in Prefs).

Subnet: Mask: 255.255.255.0 (This gives me at least room for around =
250 networks).

Local IP Address: 192.168.0.5 (As you see I have chosen the standard =
for internal use).

Gateway/Router Address: 192.168.0.10 (It would work if my Mac was a =
router)

Primary DNS/Nameserver Address: 192.168.0.10 (This is actually the IP =
number on my Mac)

Domain Name: jr.dk (I use my private Domain Name, but it is not =
needed for this setup).

My PowerMac 6500 has a similar setup in the Control Panel TCP/IP =
exclusive for the IntraNet.
For network access you must choose EtherNet. In The AppleTalk Control =
Panel you must choose
EtherNet. (remember AppleTalk over EtherNet on Newton is called =
EtherTalk)

To get my NPDS InterNet server on my Intranet, I need to change my =
Mac=B4s TCP/IP from my PPP InterNet setup to my Ethernet IntraNet =
setup (because I have no router).

When I do that my Mac and Newton are on the same Ethernet and they =
run AppleTalk over TCP/IP.
With my browser (Opera 5b3) I can connect to NPDS on IP number =
192.168.0.5 (Local IP address). The same workss for my LaserWriter =
(see below) and would certainly work for other units (Mail server - =
List server) on my EtherNet.

What is the catch???? and what do I need to get on the InterNet????
I need a Gateway/Router (Software or Hardware)

A couple of month ago (before I got my MP 2100 (and joined this =
list)) I tried to use
IP NetRouter (mentioned in one of the letters on this subject). When =
it was Configured, I made my PowerMac to a router (via PPP - because =
I don=B4t have a private backbone) without disturbing my computer at =
all. I configured it so I could use privat IP number series
(192.168.0.0) (NAT). IP NetRouter could also be Configured for =
Dynamic Host Configuring Protocol (DHCP) avoiding the need for using =
specific IP numbers on your units. You should just choose a number =
series ( between 192.168.0.1 - 255).

Besides this I could get one of my SE/30 on the internet also via =
ethernet - using Netscape 1.0 and Mosaic. It=B4s from the good old =
days in 1994, where nearly no ordinary PC users knew, what InterNet =
was. Yes I have 3 Macintosh SE/30 (1989). Another one of them is - by =
the way - configured as a complete Primary DNS/Name Server, DHCP =
server, Mail server, List Server, Internet server and FTP server for =
my IntraNet via EtherNet. It would also work with IP NetRouter =
configured to use Network Adress Translation (NAT) in my privat =
Domain (jr.dk)

Apple has a similar router software (AppleTalk Router ???), but as =
far as I know it is not free, and I have never seen or used it.

The IP AppleShare Server software is certainly not free.

A Linux Box i not fre at all unless you have a Linux CD ROM and an =
old(er) PC to spare and know how to set it up as a router or gateway.

I use LocalTalk Bridge (free) to get my LaserWriter 4/600 PS =
(PostScript) on the network.

I could also use it to get my old Macintosh Plus (1987) on the =
network via LocalTalk - and use it as an InterNet Server.

In Fact there is a Mac Plus on the InterNet that actually works as a =
real InterNet Server using Apples router software placed on an other =
Macintosh.

Yet an other proof off Apples Ingenuity from the past used in 2001. =
Could you imagine a PC from 1987 or 1989 used the same way.

You should also be able to get a MP 120/130 with NIE 1.0 on the =
network via serial connection using AppleTalk and a LocalTalk network.

Finally remember, that all the network information used in my private =
network must be changed and reflect the real world and the =
information delivered by your provider if you choose to setup a =
software/hardware router in your network to get your Newton on the =
InterNet.

Anyway I hope this example will give some of you folks out there an =
idea of "How to do".

By the way - I am new to this list (14/08/2001). I have used Newton =
in the past (MP120), but got my hands on an MP 2100 recently. I think =
there is many off you who does a great job in keeping The Newton =
alive by writing software - I wish I could.

If anyone find out to get in contact with Tactile Software for serial =
numbers I would be glad. I need to get the FTP browser going.

J=F8rgen (Jorgen) Riishede

riishede_at_get2net.dk

PS: Apple forever and forever again. The same goes for =