Re: [NTLK] Wavelan [Was: Re: $50.00 wireless Internet for Newton.]

From: Hubertus (hubertus_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Sep 25 2001 - 13:24:23 EDT

>on 9/25/01 12:56 PM, Hubertus at hubertus_at_mac.com wrote:
>
>>> * "Laurent Daudelin" <laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com> on Tue, 25 Sep 2001
>>> Ethernet
>>>
>>> And anyway, your firewall should be speaking PPPoE. Anything behind it
>>> speaks TCP/IP over Ethernet. Thus you avoid the hassles.
>>
>> ? What do you mean by a firewall speaking PPPoE?
>
>I think he means if you're using a hardware-based firewall or a software
>firewall, you have the ability to setup PPPoE. I'm using a Linksys Etherfast
>router and it supports PPPoE.

I understand now. But this does not solve the problem. Somehow you
have to authenticate and in many university networks this goes with
PPPoE. I am speaking of WLANs. To login at the access point you have
to authenticate with pppoe. Behind the access point might be a
router, a firewall etc.
You see? On the Mac you need Enternet even if you have the Airport software.
So there is no speaking of a firewall doing the PPPoE.

Greetings,

hubertus