Re: [NTLK] PPPoE [was: Wavelan]

From: Ivan Shaw (ishaw_at_sympatico.ca)
Date: Wed Sep 26 2001 - 08:23:45 EDT

On Tue, Sep 25 2001 Gerstein, Sam wrote:
>PPP is Point to Point Protocol... what's your argument against PPPoE? It
>seems to me to be a reasonable way of adding a level of authentication on an
>unsecure physical network

PPPoE is a reasonable way for service providers to oversubscribe their networks. Its implementation in Canada came about after Bell lost a CRTC ruling forcing it to open up its DSL infrastructure to resellers.

There is no implied security; authentication is for access to the ISP, much like PPP over dial-up. You still have the idle masses going after the connected machine except that you're required to run an additional (unnecessary) software layer.

--
Ivan T. Shaw, PhD
Why are you still buying Vitamin D?