Re: [NTLK] Newbie Question (now Palm/Newt comparison)

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Thu Sep 27 2001 - 03:19:03 EDT

on 9/26/01 11:50 PM, Bill davis newton at newton_at_mail.ecity.net wrote:

>> - No inter-program cooperation, like on the Newt when you want to fax
>> note, and the routing slip allows you to get a fax number from the
>> address book. Not even close.
>
> Not quite. This is not a built in feature of NewtonOS. You can, and
> programs _DO_ do the same thing on PalmOS. For example, the PalmOS
> notepad supports phone lookup from the Palm address book.

Wrong. This is built into the Newton OS. If you can fax, which is built in,
you can access the phone numbers in names. If you want to email an item
anywhere in the Newton, the slip accesses the email addresses in Names. This
is all part of the OS. The Palm does not natively support these things,
which is probably why Silverware said...

>> I even contacted MoreInfo people, as
>> they
>> have a Palm OS "app linking" program. They were very honest, and said
>> if
>> I use and enjoy MoreInfo on the Newt I would not be satisfied with
>> their
>> product for the Palm.
>
> Doesn't speak much for them as a company if they realize that and
> didn't improve their product to match.

I think it speaks more of the inherent weaknesses of the Palm OS rather than
Silverware's abilities. I would think that if they could do it, they would.
Palm still isn't ready for me yet, although the HandEra was a bit
tempting... :-)

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland