Re: [NTLK] Newton scanners?

From: Marco Mailand (Newton2k1_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu Sep 27 2001 - 09:39:04 EDT

john_fraser_at_mac.com wrote:

> A typical serial scanner doesn't take much to work. a Quick signal
> to tell it to scan (and where) and then it basically = sends the
> data....
>
> I already have an intercept serial cable created to find signals
> carried over the cable and shouldn't take long to create= a quick
> driver. The problem I have... Will be the newton methods of file
> storage etc.
I think your work would be nice and interesting but probably not very
helpful to most Newton users. How many will have access to exactly that
model of scanner you'll write the driver for? Probably only a handfull,
since most scanners are for SCSI or USB.

Another approach which I use from time to time and which is much easier
and sort of standard is to use a normal fax machine and fax whatever has
to be scanned to your Newton. Okay its not colour nor greyscale but for
texts it is okay. Who'll need colours anyway on a Newton?

Marco