Re: [NTLK] Newton scanners?

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Thu Sep 27 2001 - 11:48:22 EDT

On Thu, 27 Sep 2001, Laurent Daudelin wrote:

> > 48V? If all you need is to power a line... I once set up a crude theatre
> > intercom system using old phones, a spool of 4-line phone wire, and six
> > "D" cell batteries. That was 7.2V, and there were lines of over 200ft.
> > No problem. You don't need routing if it's only your modem and your fax
> > machine on the line... you just need to insert some power.
>
> Maybe a dumb question, but how actually do you insert some power?

I used a 6-cell battery holder with leads, and wired it onto the phone
line. You can split the line as many times as you want, as long as you
have enough power for all the phones (or, I suppose you could get away
with less if you only pick up two phones at a time). It just creates one
big party line, with no dialtone.

If anyone wants more info about this, let me know off-list, this is
getting off topic.