Re: [NTLK] Wavelan [Was: Re: $50.00 wireless Internet for Newton .]

From: Stainless Steel Rat (ratinox_at_peorth.gweep.net)
Date: Thu Sep 27 2001 - 22:09:45 EDT

* <gopi_at_sin.sloth.org> on Thu, 27 Sep 2001
| There's only one single encryption key used for an entire network using
| WEP. So every time you remove someobdy from the network (students
| graduating, employees being fired, etc.) you need to change the key for
| everybody. Somewhat impractical, don't you think?

That is another rant, one that I have sort of sat on for a while and said,
"told you so," when methods of cracking the scheme were published. Keys
that do not change frequently are useless. But that is another rant.

| Adaptor MAC addresses can easily be sniffed,

So can your PPPoE authentication, and just as easilly. But unlike the MAC
address, which is frequently difficult to forge, login/password pairs are
trivial to forge.

Such is, and you can't change manglement's mind once it is made up.

--
Rat <ratinox_at_peorth.gweep.net>    \ Caution: Happy Fun Ball may suddenly
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ accelerate to dangerous speeds.