Re: [NTLK] Newbie Question (now Palm/Newt comparison)

From: Daniel Smith (djoannidi_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri Sep 28 2001 - 12:33:47 EDT

That's a pretty strong opinion man. Not to tear up on your opinions -
that's your right to express them.

Now, offering a counter opinion, based on my experience:
  Working at Apple Computer, Inc. is very exciting and an exceptional
experience. Even if your assignment is AppleCare Technical Telephone
Support, there's a strong energy from all who work there. People come to
work at Apple because they love the company. They love the products. They
enjoy working in an environment that doesn't stifle one's opinion. A casual
atmosphere where you're surrounded by the toys and technologies you've
always dreamed of playing with, but never could afford.

  They don't force ideas or thought process. They encourage opinions and
endorsements for new methods. Anyone who's interested in something is
allowed to pursue their dreams. I was a telephone support rep, specializing
on PowerBook portable computers. But I meet people who were beta-testing
Mac OS X. Or developing new system utilities. Even alpha-testing new
hardware! Your team is always pumped and charged with something new and
exciting. We get bogged down with the general Corporate process, but
generally there's still a radical charge to strike against the white-suit
mentality. We had a monthly beer-bash, each sponsored by a different team
in the company. We had public mini-expo's by Mac-friendly software/hardware
companies to show off their latest toys.
I picked up a copy of "The Sims" and "Tomb Raider Gold" for free, after
catching the CD's thrown into the crowd. We saw demos of 'not-yet-released'
USB Video Capture devices and real-time MPEG2 Digital Video software running
on iMacs, iBooks or PowerMacintosh G4's.

  While the threat of economic down-turns, suffering stock, or corporate
down-sizing was sometimes present, you still had a sense of importance.
Everyone is important there. You make a difference. Everyone makes a
difference. Thinking different is encouraged. Supporting those different
ideas with evidence and steps to modify or improve the situation are readily
encouraged within the company. It's not just a motto or a trendy Ad
Campaign. It's everywhere you look. From the t-shirt/shorts employees to
the suit-and-tie sales representatives. They still practice at Apple "Think
Different" and everyone has "The Power +o he your 6est"

That's my opinion. You're welcome have strong objections to it. That's why
I love America, and love my rights. Besides, what's a debate if everyone
feels the same!

--
Daniel Joannidi Smith
Student Developer

(512) 619-5459 djoannidI_at_mac.com > >Now workers at Apple aren't allowed to think unless > >the thought process was initialized by Steve > >Jobs...only his ideas are brought to light! > >The question is still, is this a good thing, or a bad > >thing...? > >Ed > >web/gadget guru