Re: [NTLK] airports and Newts

From: Bill davis newton (newton_at_mail.ecity.net)
Date: Fri Sep 28 2001 - 13:12:12 EDT

I'm curious about this too. I'm going to CA to visit my sister in
November and have been thinking Amtrak since it was my understanding yo
can't carry ANYTHING onto the plane.

I heard that "no carry on luggage" was allowed on the news....but what
the heck does that mean exactly?

I need to check with the airlines, I guess...the news reports have all
been pretty vague about what is and isn't allowed as carry-on, yet
filled with reports of how easy it is to get stuff OTHER than laptops
and such past the security checkpoints.

What about cell phones in your pocket? Pocket-sized Palm/WinCE
machines? A laptop in your hands NOT in a case? Heck, what about a
paperback book? If I have to sit on a plane for 4-5 hours without even
a book and nothing for distraction but the airline magazine) I'll go
nuts!

Do you have to check your briefcase? Laptop? Purse? Where do they
draw the line? How big can a purse be, if they are allowed? Are
purses only allowed for women? (Reverse discrimination if so).

I have a feeling that laptop sales are gonna take a steep dive. And
perhaps small laptop sales (ala iBook) take a steep rise. Laptop
hardcase sales will have steep growth. Airline flights for business
might take a steep drop too -- laptops are practically standard
equipment for business travellers these days.

Amtrak's looking better and better.

I'm not sure I'd trust the airlines with a checked laptop in a
hardcase. Replacing a suitcase full of clothing is one thing.
Replacing a $1500-$3500 laptop is something else again. Especially if
you need it at the destination. You can easily buy more clothes, but
if the data on your laptop is lost in transit due to the unit being
damaged or lost, you're screwed. Heck, you might not be able to get to
a computer store before your appointment. And they might not have what
you need. And you STILL wouldn't have your data.

Has anyone on the list flown with a laptop or a Newton or other PDA as
a carry-on item within the USA since the new security restrictions went
into affect after 9/11/2001? If so, describe your experience/problems.

Anyone got recommendations for hardcases? I wonder if you can insure
your baggage and what it costs for something like a laptop....

 - Bill