Re: [NTLK] airports and Newts [Tangent: Amtrak]

From: Murray, Tom (TMurray_at_usequities.com)
Date: Fri Sep 28 2001 - 14:24:05 EDT

I was "stuck" in Philly during the disaster and ended up having to take a 17
hour (no joke) trip to Chicago. I don't want to get into a long tread on
terrorism, but here's my take on this. First of all, when I boarded the
train at 6:30am the lady told us that the train was COMPLETELY FULL. When
we got on it was approx. half full...at best. I was waiting to get to
Pittsburgh for the rest of the train to fill up...it never did. Amtrak has
been steadily loosing money for the last couple of years...I can now see
why. As far as security is concerned...there was NONE whatsoever. I don't
want to give anyone ideas, but they allow you to walk on with 2 bags (good
sized ones, not those littluns like on planes) and you can check in 3
bags/boxes. Needless to say, after 9/11/01 I was quite concerned. So, if
you don't mind the time (got a couple books to read) and you aren't
concerned about security, then I'd say go for it.

Tom

<snip>