Re: [NTLK] 2100 screw???

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Fri Sep 28 2001 - 15:15:31 EDT

on 9/28/01 2:59 PM, Jeremy Bond Shepherd at jbond_at_eskimo.com wrote:

> At 05:48 AM 9/28/01, Laurent Daudelin wrote:
>> ------------------------------
>>
>> I had some problem with my serial connection yesterday night and did
>> open my 2100 to check my SER-001. Removed it and put it back,
>> but when I
>> got to screw the case, I noticed I was missing a screw. And at
>> 2:00 in
>> the morning, I've checked everywhere on the desk, and under the
>> desk,
>> but couldn't find the darn screw.
>

> Just out of curiousity, did you lose serial connectivity through
> the SER-001 but not when using a dongle?
>
> This happens to me once every few weeks. I have to open the
> Newton and either re-seat the SER-001 or just remove it and put
> it back in again. :-|
>
> I end up carrying the dongle around anyway, "just in case" the
> connection through the SER-001 fails when I need it. Kind of a
> pain. Am I the only one experiencing this? Should I attempt that
> "countersink" trick?

I'm not sure. I've tried the dongle, but I didn't quit NCU after my failed
attempt. I then tried my spare 2100 and it did connect almost immediately. I
then noticed that my spare 2100 wouldn't connect if I would first try to
connect with my regular 2100 (that would fail), and then try my 2100
*without* quitting NCU first. When I noticed that my spare 2100 wasn't able
to connect, and realized this kind of pattern. I then tried my regular 2100,
which I had already opened, and it did connect fine. So, I was unable to
positively identify the SER as the cause, since using the dongle also failed
until I quit NCU before any new attempt. That's odd, as NCU should still try
a new connection every time, but it looks like it's not what's happening.

One thing I noticed when trying to remove the SER: the connector almost
stayed on the motherboard. It seems that the solder that hold it on the SER
board are very light so if you try to remove it, the pins section may
"stick" onto the motherboard. I carefully examined it after I fully put the
connector back onto the SER board, and it was working fine. I did the
"countersink" thing as well, since it was opened.

I'll have to check out if this problem happens again, and I'll try to better
isolate the cause. But right now, nothing definitive...

-Laurent.

Borg n.: In "Star Trek: The Next Generation" the Borg is a species of cyborg
that ruthlessly seeks to incorporate all sentient life into itself; their
slogan is "You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile." In hacker
parlance, the Borg is usually Microsoft, which is thought to be trying just
as ruthlessly to assimilate all computers and the entire Internet to itself
(there is a widely circulated image of Bill Gates as a Borg). Being forced
to use Windows or NT is often referred to as being "Borged". Interestingly,
the Halloween Documents reveal that this jargon is live within Microsoft
itself. (Other companies, notably Intel and UUNet, have also occasionally
been equated to the Borg.) See also Evil Empire, Internet Exploiter.