Re: [NTLK] [NTLK]-OT-Newbie Question (now Palm/Newt comparison)

From: Sushi (Sushi_at_ragingbull.com)
Date: Sat Sep 29 2001 - 18:29:17 EDT

Ed,

Normally I wouldn't comment on a rant, but your comments simply amaze me.

>I will give you, that back in the '90s...mostly,
>pre-Jobs, Apple was innovative.

So things like the iMac, iBook, beautiful TFTs -- first in the industry
to be completely digital, Airport, etc. are not innovative?

Or how about the new tower case which is a wonderful design. And it sure
beats the bloody knuckles some of us got upgrading older machines.

Or what about iMovie, iDVD, iTunes, or Final Cut Pro?

Or how about getting to work with MSFT to create Office 98, and now 2001?

Or what about using standard parts so that it is easy to upgrade models.
Such as right now I can easily upgrade my iBook to the IBM 48GB internal
HD, or my iMac to an internal 100GB EIDE drive?

>I guess that I am still hurting by Apple's fumbling of
>the Newton in such a horrific way, that that single
>act clouds my judgement against Apple and I can't see
>past my own anger.

I guess that's a problem you'll have to come to grips with yourself.

Sure I wish that Apple kept upgrading the Newt. I do like the green
machine.

However, I also realize that Apple is a business and they must survive as
a business.

Who knows what the future holds. Maybe someday Apple will re-enter this
market.

Currently the Palm does a wonderful job for a PDA. It's crossplatform,
small, powerful, and due to numerous licensees, there are a variety of
Palm devices to choose from.

As for a Newt replacement, my guess is that we'll see some sort of tablet
type computer in the future.

I am looking forward to tablets with folding displays that will fit in
your pocket.

Just bought a soft/folding keyboard for my work PC. Very cool and
covenient.

>But I have to say...since the
>Newton's demise, I have not seen a single innovative
>product come out of Cuppertino since.

Beg to differ. Lot's of innovations have come out of Apple since 1997.
See comments above.

>Don't spout off about OSX.whatever...it's just another
>GUI ontop of a *nix kernel...I want GUI, not command
>lines! I think in mental pictures...commandlines
>(while I have spend dozens of years working with
>command lines) are passe.

Heck, look at system 9. It came out since the Newt was cancelled!

>Apple is stagnating, and even under the corporate
>reigns of pervious corporate bosses, Apple still
>managed to shine!

Uh, what planet are you on?

Do you call repeated quarterly losses shining?!

Apple was well on it's way to failure until SJ came back and put them on
the right track.

>Seems that all of Apple's decisions are now based
>on money. Switch from SCSI to IDE. Sure, IDE is
>cheaper, but also not as robust and certainly not
>as fast...(remember, even as equal bus speeds, the
>SCSI still wins out because of it's multi path
>abilities)

What SCSI and IDE are you talking about?!

There are many flavors and performance differences.

The new IDE drives are pretty good.

Also, to get full SCSI performance, you must add a card and make sure all
of the devices in your SCSI chain are up to the same performance level,
otherwise it is a waste.

For standard equipment, IDE is okay, even for video editing.

And you can always add whatever SCSI you want to your Mac should you need
that type of performance. Same holds true for PC's.

Sushi