[NTLK] Re - 2000 Adapter trying to charge alkalines

From: Frank Gruendel (Frank_Gruendel_at_t-online.de)
Date: Tue Apr 02 2002 - 14:58:02 EST

> Actually, they are AA Ni-MH batteries. I have never had a problem with
them
> or using them with the AC adapter. But, today the Newt & adapter melted
the
> batteries (near). Could it be either:

Ok, just to make sure what we are talking about, let's try to sort this out:

a) You are using NiMH rechargeable batteries (alkalines like those mentioned
in your mail's subject line are usually not rechargeable).

b) You are using the NiMH batteries in the Newton's standard battery holder.

If a and b are correct, normally the Newton wouldn't charge the batteries as
the battery holder is lacking two contacts the original Apple rechargeable
pack has. To those two contact the frequently mentioned temperature
dependant resistor is connected inside the battery pack.

So, are a and b correct?

You say the Newton charges those NiMH's?

> 1) Today I installed BattTrax battery monitor. Which I believe was
written
> by someone who was designing his own rechargeable pack.

Not knowing BattTrax, I still doubt that can be the reason. There is an
easy way to make sure: Just delete it and, for good measure, do a hard
reset (after taking out all cards and doing two complete backups).

> Today I Dropped the Newton about 36", it landed on its Low Left corner
> (Mic corner).
> Now, I notice the adapter level meter (Not BattTrax), reads very near the
> top of its scale which I think indicates mA's. This is unusual, usually
> it's just below mid scale.

Not sure what you mean by "adapter level meter". If you mean the horizontal
bar
above the word "Battery" that you see in the bottom right corner (above the
button bar) when you click Extras: This is the battery voltage level.
It is normal that it is not showing "full" level if you use rechargeable
batteries in
the battery holder. The reason is that when you use the battery holder the
Newton thinks you are using non rechargeable batteries. "Full" for those
means 1.5 volts per cell, fully charged NiMH's provide only 1.3 volts.

If, as you describe it, the meter is now near the top (right??) of the scale
this might be due to the fact that the Newton now thinks there's a
rechargeable battery pack installed. This would also explain why it suddenly
(if I understood this right) charges the NiMH's.
About the only way to make this happen I think is that due to the fall the
contacts within the Newton that are responsible for getting the temperature
resistor's value have bent and now touch each other.

If the Newton does in fact charge batteries in the standard battery holder,
do not let it charge again. It might kill both the Newton and the batteries
as both safety precautions (the temperature resistor and the temperature
switch in the rechargeable pack) aren't available.

Frank

Newton hardware and software at http://www.pda-soft.de