[NTLK] Summer Project

From: Jonathan Wise (jonwise_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Apr 02 2002 - 22:22:47 EST

Hello World,
    After a couple months of just using my Newton, I've decided to
contribute something.
Being a Palm user (well Handspring) user, there are some things I
thought I couldn't do without when I bought my first Newt.
    One of them was synching. However, I soon realised that I could get
by synching my contacts once a month. I have too many Calendars to be
able to synch them all, with even the most capable Palm. And too many
e-mail accounts/servers/rules/subfolders to make e-mail synching worth
it.
    What I have found though, is that I would really like an easy way to
get notes from my PC onto my Newt. Sometimes I open up Notepad and type
things in while on the phone -- only to copy them down later.
    While it would be a massive undertaking to write a HotSynch-like
program, it wouldn't be that difficult to get a note onto my Newt from
my PC. But that's rather simplistic, and not that practical since I only
have one serial cable. What would be simple is IrDA. Experiments with
IrDA leads me to believe that it's entirely possible and not obscenely
difficult.
    I know this is no WaveLan driver, ATA Support, or MP3 Player, but
I'm thinking it might be useful. If anyone has any expertise on this,
please let me know. My thinking is I'll need to do a lot of reading on
Windows IrDA (sorry, I'll have to start with Windows), Newton IrDA, and
whatever method the Newt uses to receive notes over IrDA from another
Newt.

Wish me luck!
Jonathan Wise