Re: [NTLK] Got a question? Check the FAQ (or somewhere else) - Anywhere other than here.

From: Matthew Robinson (matthew_at_crescent.org.uk)
Date: Wed Apr 03 2002 - 06:38:05 EST

I can't claim to have read the whole thread on this subject but I have this
view.

I try to live by this motto I once read (it's a little pretentious but hey!)

"Many years ago I drank from the well of knowledge. Now I tend that well so
that others may quench their thirst"

I believe in sharing knowledge and helping those that ask for help. Remember
we could answer 95% of questions with "It's in the product's manual".

You should answer questions that are asked, even if it's number one on the FAQ
list. You could even cut&paste the relevant section of the faq into the email.
Close your email with a polite 'this is in the FAQ' reminder, pointing to the
question number. Remember that not every one realises the existance of a faq
and may have even read it three times and managed to miss the answer to their
question.

Sometimes a user only requires a 'hint' to shove them towards solving the
problem themselves. This often results in a better understanding of why things
work that way:

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand."

There will always be people who don't RTFM. These people are annoying and
after a while it's time to simply say "Oh read the damn FAQ" but a certain
ammount of grace and politeness should be exercised before that point is
reached.

Berating a newbie for not reading the faq or asking a stupid question will
drive them away from what I have found to be one of the nicest communities on
the web.

I'll close with another motto that I use:

"Always proof read carefully. That way you won't any words out."

All the best

Matthew