Re: [NTLK] FAQ and ethernet

From: Laurent Daudelin (nemesys_at_cox.rr.com)
Date: Wed Apr 03 2002 - 23:54:59 EST

on 04/04/02 23:00, Hobbes at onefishtwofish_at_mac.com wrote:

> Verily, on Wed, Apr 3, 2002 Jesse Garnier quoth:
>>> I came across another Newton FAQ on another site which was dated Feb 2001
>>> (no relation to the NewtonTalk FAQ) which said that Newtons can only connect
>>> with other computers through the ethernet if the network and those other
>>> computers were from Apple. Is this true? The FAQ on NewtonTalk didn't seem
>>> to preclude hooking up to a PC.
>>
>> Totally false. Newtons should be able to connect to any TCP/IP Ethernet
>> network using a manual or DHCP-obtained configuration.
>
> Well,not totally false...
>
> There's not a way to connect with NCU under Windows via ethernet, AFAIK.
> That's pretty much Mac only, or does UNIXNPI support it too now? Short answer
> is: for package installing packages, importing/exporting or backing up over
> ethernet = Mac only. TCP/IP and other fun stuff is platform indpendant.

The reason is that, network-wise, NCU only works over AppleTalk, be it on
LocalTalk transport or Ethernet (or EtherTalk). That's the reason why it
doesn't work on Windows, since there is no AppleTalk there.

-Laurent.

drone n.: Ignorant sales or customer service personnel in computer or electronics superstores. Characterized by a lack of even superficial knowledge about the products they sell, yet possessed of the conviction that they are more competent than their hacker customers. Usage: "That video board probably sucks, it was recommended by a drone at Fry's" In the year 2000, their natural habitats include Fry's Electronics, Best Buy, and CompUSA.