Re: [NTLK] Registration Tactile software

From: Anthony Velasco (ecotone_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu Apr 04 2002 - 10:02:37 EST

Fellow NTLKers,

I've been trying to get the original sales records from Rob to accomodate
those who have lost their documentation. Rob has not been very accessible to
me lately - as some of you may remember, it took me the better part of a
year to make _legally unlocked_ Tactile software available to the public
again. This hasn't stopped me from registering software (without cost) to
those who have provided me with proof of purchase, and I have mentioned this
to the list on more than one occasion.

IMHO, for those who have lost codes: if you like the software enough to keep
using it, then you should weigh the costs of searching for your sales
records or related emails - or waiting for Tactile to find them, with costs
for re-purchasing software (recently 30% off), and/or with costs of time
spent complaining about the process.

FYI, Tactile implemented this particular security scheme because hackers
were constantly picking and chipping away for a weak link. If you think the
"underground" techniques arose to rescue those who lost their codes, think
again. Rob never got back in the black with Tactile software, which is a
partly why he didn't release the software to the public when I asked about
it. The evidence is that much of the lost sales can be attributed to illegal
activity - if that isn't a confidence/morale buster.... Rob Bruce was one of
the most enthusiastic supporters of the Newton. His Ultimate Newton website
was THE HUB of Newton information for many, and most of his Tactile software
easily could have been boxed for commercial sale. All this while managing a
career and tending a family - pretty remarkable in my opinion!

My efforts have been an altruistic attempt to get Tactile software out to
the public again, and was glad that Rob decided not to leave it as
abandonware or dump it to the public as freeware - and to do so only admits
defeat and will contribute to the piecemeal death of the Newton platform. I
realize that you are voting with your pocketbook, Jeremy, and I sense that
many feel the same way about Tactile, but your anger and announcements about
the piracy code-defeator are wearing thin on me. Now, if you could direct
that time and energy to doing something positive for the Newton
Community.... Sorry for the jab, but I had to get it out! I'm doing the best
I can to make things right with past customers. I too support capitalism
over piracy and anarchy, a decision that we all are free to make. I only ask
that you consider the history, weigh the costs, and look at the big picture
in determining the Newton's future...as I believe this is no longer Apple's
choice, it's our choice now.

I'll keep maintaining the Tactile registration for as long as my Newtons
stay alive, and will continue to redistribute lost codes, unless Rob or the
Newton Community pulls me out of the process first.

  Anthony Velasco, USFWS-Ecologist/ecotoxicologist
                ecotone_at_mac.com

This Newt's trekking through cactusland and lov'n it!

Managing Sales and Licensing for Newton Software at:
  http://www.tactile.com - Tactile Systems, Inc.
Contact me via the above E-mail for more information