Re: [NTLK] Zaurus Anyone?

From: Oliver Brose (oliver.brose_at_t-online.de)
Date: Thu Apr 04 2002 - 14:14:44 EST

> Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 20:16:52 -0700
> Subject: Re: [NTLK] Zaurus Anyone?
> From: Alex Karahalios <Alex_at_Karahalios.org>
>

> I've had a Zaurus for a few months now and moved my Newton PIM data over
> to it. Previously I had basically the same software running on my iPaq.
> The main disadvantage of the Zaurus over the Newton is not only the lack
> of cursive handwriting recognition software but the fact that the whole O=
> is not pen-centric. You can't treat your screen like a piece of paper.

I mean, is it that difficult for the interface designers to realize how the
product they are designing the interface for is actually going to be used?
If the Zaurus, *finally* a *capable* device that does *not* run on
MicroShi*, has just another "Desktop stuffed into small unit" GUI, I start
to wonder whether the fact that a PenBased Unit needs a PenOrientated GUI t=
work best is some top-level secret that was handwritten on the last Newton
2100 ever produced by the designers of OS2.1 and tossed into the landfill
where all the rest of the last Newtons went by Steve Jobs himself, with
flesh-eating bacteria, starved baboons and beige body-traps set up around
it.

Actually, this would be something partly positive, as it would imply that
Steve Saw How It Works, and that he did not want others to take advantage o=
Apple's knowledge, the one and only reason I could imagine why Apple never
sold the Newton Technology. *haha*

Many people do not use their PDAs to their full potential due to the
ineffectiveness of the GUI, although the machines have excellent hardware
capabilities. They just keep it to add another plaything every some weeks
("Look, I got me 256MB of storage! Look, next I will get WLAN! No, I don't
use my iPaq that often anymore, but having WLAN would be cool.")

The sad part: MOST DO NOT EVEN REALIZE THIS AS THERE IS NO ALTERNATIVE THAT
DOES IT RIGHT ON THE MARKET!

Developers, developers, developers!

The knowledge is there, you can pick it up at eBay for $150 and see how it
works, I just don't get it.

Oliver :/

--
Mit dieser =DCberschrift erweckt es den Eindruck, als g=E4be es keinen
kostenlosen PPS-Viewer f=FCr den Mac. Aber einen solchen habe ich als