[NTLK] Re - How - Notes to Mac via NCU

From: Frank Gruendel (Frank_Gruendel_at_t-online.de)
Date: Thu Apr 04 2002 - 16:17:33 EST

Johannes said...

> So what is your problem with deleting a few lines containing information
> about date, time and folder what you might not need???
> It takes just a few seconds and you may want to edit the note on your Mac
> anyway...

Reason one: All fields, including that containing the text, are in the same
line.
Extracting a couple of kilobytes of text from within the other fields and
then
putting all the linefeeds that are on the Newton, but not in the exported
note
back in takes more than just a few seconds. In fact it takes so long that
entering the note into my Palm Pilot in the first place is the better
option.

Reason two: Doing this with my Palm is no effort whatsoever. All notes are
synchronized to MS OutLook (as well as all eMails, Dates and To Do's) at
the press of a button. I just need to copy notes to the clipboard and can
use
the text whereever I want. And silly me always thought the Newton is better
than
a Palm...

Reason three: My OMP, together with the Newton Connection Kit, can do
this without any problem.

> Another option is to export Works files - there you will get the pure
text.
> And you are free to copy a note to a works file on your Newt if you whish.

I am aware of that. But I'm one of those people who prefer simple solutions
for simple things. If I just need plain text, I'm not willing to export to a
program
that allows me to convert it into a format it had in the first place. A
program that
I even might have to install first. This would be a bit like buying a PC
because
there's that terrific Mac emulator for Windows and I prefer Mac's to all
other
computers anyway.
Considering the fact that my Palm (see above)...

Michael said...

> That's strange. When I export a note using NCU, I get a nicely formatted
> RTF file; opening that with MS Word or Apple Works I get something like
this:

Now that's interesting. So far I've always dragged the exported note to
BBEdit Lite,
maybe if I dropped it to Word, this would solve the problem. I wasn't aware
it might
be a rtf file (and considering what I see in BBEdit lite I actually doubt it
is).

Frank

Newton hardware and software at http://www.pda-soft.de