Re: [NTLK] Ethernet unreliable

From: Marco Mailand (Newton2k1_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Apr 09 2002 - 06:03:52 EDT

> I got a connection, but it's very unstable. I can connect reliably, I
> can use my Mac as a keyboard, but that's about as far as it gets.
> Transmission of larger packages (> about 20 KB) is impossible, very
> small packages get through sometimes, but it takes ages.
>
> I also tried TCP/IP (Internet), and that's very unstable as well.
Belive it or not, I had the same with a Farallon PN895 card which used to
work absolutely reliable and fast. From one day to another it became as bad
as you described. Finally I found that the plug which goes into the card had
a lose solder joint and caused interruptive transmission. Open the plug,
record the colours and pin numbers, cut and strip the cable, resolder and
that was all. Now its working perfectly again. The real cause of the loose
contact was my fault: I dropped my Newton from about 3 ft onto the floor
(with soft carpet) and the Ethernet connector pulled the card out but the
contact became loose several weeks later.

--
With best Regards / Viele Gruesse!

Marco Mailand

http://slsbd.psi.ch/timing http://slsbd.psi.ch/~mmailand/ https://www.paypal.com/refer/pal=YYD3VUXUVD2YG