Re: [NTLK] OT: portable cd player - copy protected audio CDs

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Tue Apr 09 2002 - 12:36:47 EDT

On 09/04/02 12:01, "oliver.brose_at_t-online.de" <oliver.brose_at_t-online.de>
wrote:
[snip!]
> If such a product is sold, it needs to be sold apart from anything that is
> labeled CD-Audio, and it has to have a red sticker covering half of it (back
> and front) saying "URGENT WARNING! This product is no CD-Audio but a music
> data carrier, do not insert this product into your
> PC/Mac/Car-Stereo/Car-Navigation-System/DVD-Player/MP3-CD-Player, it will
> not work and will possibly crash and/or damage your equipment, for use in a
> CD-Audio-only-drive only!", with the same thing written in big bold letters
> on the shelve these things are put on.

I completely agree with this. And I'm angry with Oliver that they can do
something like this. This means that at some point, we will all have to
replace our CD players, no matter if they are mere CD players or CD drives.

I don't know what those stupid a... at Sony are thinking. Do they really
believe that their copy protection won't be defeated? They thought the same
when they came out with the consumer DVDs, it seems they didn't get their
lesson. The worst part is that all the consumers have to pay a small part of
their effort and resources that they put up to copy protect their stuff.

GEEEEZZZZ!

-Laurent.

evil and rude adj.: Both evil and rude, but with the additional connotation
that the rudeness was due to malice rather than incompetence. Thus, for
example: Microsoft's Windows NT is evil because it's a competent
implementation of a bad design; it's rude because it's gratuitously
incompatible with Unix in places where compatibility would have been as easy
and effective to do; but it's evil and rude because the incompatibilities
are apparently there not to fix design bugs in Unix but rather to lock
hapless customers and developers into the Microsoft way. Hackish evil and
rude is close to the mainstream sense of `evil'.