Re: [NTLK] OT: iPod vs. RioVolt sp100 & Firewire Question

From: Marco Mailand (Newton2k1_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Apr 09 2002 - 12:41:28 EDT

> Well, MP3/CD means lots of CDs, lots of burning, lots of labeling, lots of
> filing, + you'd have to carry 12+ 700MB CDs to reach a 10gig iPod
regarding
> flexibility.
Burning 12 CDs doesn't mean lots of work. The biggest time is spent with
digitizing especially if your source CDs have scratches, which are usually
just across the most wanted song. Since the songs have to be ripped anyway
with iTunes or something else they should be somewhere, possibly on the
internal HD and making CDs, either MP3 or CDDB is very easy. The most
difficult step for me is to decide which songs or albums I want.

> > Why would I want this rather than save my pennies and get an iPod?
> > Granted the iPod can't play cd's, but I could put tons of cds into it.
And with copying CDs/MP3s to the iPod you double the amount of data on a
relatively sensitive medium. Any HD, also the one of the iPod can crash and
then the data is lost. A CD can not crash mechanically. Okay, a CD is more
sensitive against dust and scratches but in the mechanical sense it is
probably more durable then a harddrive.

> *eech* it does not have any FW, doesn't it? Sorry, I guess there is no way
> due to the lack of a cardslot... any ideas? If you had another FW Mac in a
> network though, or the ability to use one from time to time...
Maybe there is any sort of USB<->FW or Ethernet<->FW adapter?

--
With best Regards / Viele Gruesse!

Marco Mailand

http://slsbd.psi.ch/timing http://slsbd.psi.ch/~mmailand/ https://www.paypal.com/refer/pal=YYD3VUXUVD2YG