Re: [NTLK] OT: portable cd player

From: Marco Mailand (Newton2k1_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Apr 10 2002 - 04:44:20 EDT

> That said, I doubt if anything like a Newton could do this. I
> remember reading some specific cases where some badly shielded consumer
> device messed up some badly wired and shielded instruments, but the
> circumstances were odd.
Exactly. Odd circumstances would be e.g. an elder plane which hasn't passed
thru all recently mandatory EMC tests and a couple of people using a really
bad mixture of adeqatly non-EMC-tested devices which generate a decent
amount of noise level.

> In any case, it's easier (and safer) for the
> airline to just tell everyone to turn everything off during takeoff and
> landing.
Again my full aggreement on this: If they wouldn't prohibit using electronic
equipment they would allow the use of everything. Then people would come-up
with e.g. higher power CB radios with about 2...5W peak power or maybe even
more which are more likely to cause EMI problems.

Another point is that even a device with CE sign has not necessarily passed
all EMC tests. The CE sign is only the declaration of EMC conformity by the
manufacturer or simply a statement that he takes over responsability for any
damage, caused by EMC problems. From that point of view it is more than
understandable that an airline simply probhibits any use of electronic
devices during the phases where radio control of the plane is essential.

--
With best Regards / Viele Gruesse!

Marco Mailand

http://slsbd.psi.ch/timing http://slsbd.psi.ch/~mmailand/ https://www.paypal.com/refer/pal=YYD3VUXUVD2YG