Re: [NTLK] problems with "write protected" card

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Wed Apr 10 2002 - 11:08:08 EDT

On 10/04/02 09:57, "doppler" <doppler_at_mac.com> wrote:

> can anyone help me out here? i have a 16M card with a lot of stuff on that
> now shows up as "write protected" and "unformatted". ive tried to re-format
> the card (i can restore the info) with the prefs open, but even that doesnt
> work. tried this in both OMP and mp2100.

I would think that your card is toasted, sorry. If you have access to some
PC laptop, I've read a few times that some people have been able to use
their cards in such laptops because they have (as opposed to the Newton OS)
the ability to map out the bad sectors that can occur on the card. As far as
using it with your Newton again, I think you can forget it, unfortunately...

-Laurent.

Blue Screen of Death n.: [common] This term is closely related to the older
Black Screen of Death but much more common (many non-hackers have picked it
up). Due to the extreme fragility and bugginess of Microsoft Windows,
misbehaving applications can readily crash the OS (and the OS sometimes
crashes itself spontaneously). The Blue Screen of Death, sometimes decorated
with hex error codes, is what you get when this happens. (Commonly
abbreviated BSOD.)