Re: [NTLK] PDFNewt

From: Vladimir Alexiev (Vladimir_at_worklogic.com)
Date: Wed Apr 10 2002 - 15:36:54 EDT

> > - PDFs are hard-formatted for a certain page size.
> I study the pkg format, so I don't have point of view at
> this time for this side of the problem.

And I think that if you want to read PDFs on newt, you should first
concentrate on PDF and its differences from newt Books and how to convert
one to the other, and only after that study whether you can produce PKG
books without the help of extra software.

> > -- So you'll need to collect the text and relayout it.
> extract on one side the text .. merge the elements with the user
> parameters .. size of one page

Right, but there'll be deep complications. Eg consider how you'd recognize
tables in PDF to convert them to Book tables. (AFAIK, Book supports max 4
columns and you can only assign from a fixed set of widths.)

> > diffing/patching some PKGs made with Padilla's
> > MP3Builder, but with little success.
> That's the way I'm gonna use to analyze the pkg format. But
> with NewtonBook

I think I'll be giving up after

> > first work on a
> > PDF-to-bookmaker convertor. If you succeed in this, you can
> > then work to skip the bookmaker and NTK steps.
> The problem is, at this point, I will have to write a "
> bookmaker file to NTK pkg compiler " and that's not really easy.

No, I mean that at that point you can tackle this secondary problem (how to
make PKG without extra software). While you work on resolving it (and it may
be impossible to resolve), people can usefully use the PDF->bookmaker
convertor that you would have developed. Once you resolve it, it'll be easy
to amend your convertor to produce PKG instead of bookmaker.