Re: [NTLK] Buying advice?

From: André Baron (abaron_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu Apr 11 2002 - 07:12:39 EDT

Anonymous wrote:

>Hi I'm new to the list and looking to buy a Newton MP130 or 2000/2100. It
>seems that the true 2100s are getting pretty scarce. Is the only added
>feature over the 2000 the extra ram and is this a really important
>factor? I'm assuming it'd be difficult or impossible to upgrade the
>Newton's actual internal RAM.
>
>Wondering anyone has advice on what to look for, what to look out for,
>what the average prices to expect are. There seem to be some very good
>looking deals... like under $150 for a upgraded MP2000 that look a little
>too good to be true...

Ahh "true" 2100's, the only difference between those and upgraded 2000's
is the case. One says Newton Technology Inc. at the top, the bottom has
a raised apple logo, and it says Message Pad 2100. No big deal, these
units are identical in every other way to the upgraded 2000 they
replaced. The difference between a regular 2000 and an upgraded 2000 is
as you noted the RAM. It is not impossible to upgrade the RAM, there
are one or two list members who will do it for you, though if your
looking for a new newton get one that is already upgraded because it is
much more cost effective. (uprading IIRC costs about 80-100 usd.
Those deals that you see for the upgraded 2000, yup those are real
prices, and reasonable ones at that. I don't think I'd worry about them
bieng to good to be ture, though select your seller carefully; check the
archives for some of the discussions we've had.

BTW for the price difference, go 2100 (or upgraded 2000, of course) it's
an amazingly supirior machine.

André