[NTLK] [OT] Paypal gripes

From: Humphreys, David (david.humphreys_at_honeywell.com)
Date: Thu Apr 11 2002 - 09:21:32 EDT

Jim Witte, Paul Nuernberger et al,

I read your comments about Paypal with interest.
I have had a Paypal account since March of 2000, and have
enjoyed a very positive relationship with them. At no time has
my account been 'frozen' or been subject to 'other sneaky things'.

Their practices change from time to time as they must with the
ever-changing conditions of the business world. I suspect the
decision to accept only CC or routing #'s is for security reasons.

Jim, you commented: "(How the hell can it take them 3-4 days to
process a credit card transfer? I do it all the time at the
supermarket, and it takes at most 20 seconds!)"

Perhaps the reverse question should be asked:

Why does it take the Supermarket only 20 seconds to validate my
card when Paypal runs a more thorough 3-4 day security check? ;-o

Paul, I am flattered that you kept the account open just for me.
Please understand that it is so much easier for me to keep track
of payments using Paypal than it would be if I accepted other methods
of payment. It protects both parties.
While I can understand the need to protect your information, the digital
commerce age is upon us whether we like it or not. I respect your
decision to only do business using cash but I do not have the resources
to keep track of these and other 'non-record' transactions hence, Paypal.

Thanks to Mark Ross and Victor Rehorst for their supporting comments.

Regards,

David (PCBman) Humphreys