Re: [NTLK] Ethernet unreliable

From: Alexander Oberdörster (oberdoer_at_uni-duesseldorf.de)
Date: Thu Apr 11 2002 - 12:23:35 EDT

I got ahold of a Wintel notebook today and used it to test the FiberLine
network card. Regardless of the pity state of the connector, the card
worked flawlessly. I managed to transmit a 5 MB file without problems.

So the hardware is ok, the problem is on the Newton. Maybe the ATLAN
driver is not completely compatible to the card, maybe it's something
else. Are there any standard procedures I could try, anything similar to
"boot with extensions off", "zap PRAM" on the Mac?

>> Ah, I think I may have a similar problem here. I just examined the
>> plug here and it's definitely not ok. A small piece of plastic broke
>> off at one side of the connector. I think the pin there is also bent.
>
> This is an absolutely secure sign that an extreme force was applied to
> the connector. Mine has broken out corners too :-) However, the
> connector pins are okay but the solder joints were not.

Alexander