Re: [NTLK] [OT] PayPal gripes

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Apr 11 2002 - 14:42:07 EDT

Are you sure that you ONLY use that card for PayPal? I
thought the same thing when over $5,000 of junk (and
that's what it was...real crap stuff I would never
think of buying) appeared on my credit card.
It turns out that earlier that month, my wife and I
had been out to a restaurant. I paid the bill with my
credit card and left the slip on the little tray on my
table and left the restaurant. Then, someone who is
specially trained (another patron who stakes out
restaurants just for such events) approached my table
and memorized the credit card number, expiration and
the name on the card. I live on the east coast. This
information was sent to the west coast and the charges
were started. Now, when I pay with credit card, I
always find my server and give the slip back to them
directly. The only time I dont' do this is when the
bill arrives in a foldable holder.
Ed
web/gadget guru
http://npds.tek-ed.com (my NPDS server and it's new
subdomain)

--- IMNewtMan_at_aol.com wrote:
> Daylight Time,
> markr13_at_comcast.net writes:
>

> > For the merchant, cards and PayPal are far easier
> > to deal with. You get paid within days and you
> don't have to worry about
> > checks clearing. When we used to take checks and
> MO's, most of the time
> > people would fill in the mail in form and then
> never mail it. I'd wait
> > and dun these people only to find out that they
> would change their minds
> > or forget. It was such a hassle that we stopped
> taking checks and MO's
> > as a form of payment. I suspect that most
> merchants on the web have had
> > a similar experience and discontinued the practice
> as well.
> >

> It was easier for me as well, at least until somehow
> someone got my credit
> card number and started charging it up. I don't know
> how they did it but it
> had to be from paypal because that is all I used
> that card for. Paypal was no
> help, never answered the email I sent to their
> Security Dept <thanks a lot!!!>
> . Luckily, my credit card company was great to deal
> with on this.
>
> Tom

=====
- The Powerpuff Girls -