Re: [NTLK] [OT] PayPal gripes hurt sales

From: Eric L. Strobel (fyzycyst_at_comcast.net)
Date: Fri Apr 12 2002 - 10:55:00 EDT

on 4/12/02 10:14 AM, Humphreys, David at david.humphreys_at_honeywell.com
wrote:

> I extend a heartfelt *thanks* to those people who always find
> it necessary to keep us informed about the latest 'problems'
> this or that service is having. Truth is that not one service
> can boast that they are problem free. They all have some
> history, some worse than others. Dig long enough on the net
> and you will find it.

The problem is that satisfied folks never speak up, of course, because they
have no reason to. I've not kept track, but how many of the complaints on
this list re: PayPal are based on *firsthand* experience? And how many are
folks just a little itchy due to bad press caused by a handful of incidents
that get apocryphally and multiply repeated over the Net? If the latter,
then folks need to take a breath and try to realistically assess the risk.
If there are several of the former, then there's a genuine problem because,
face it, there's only a few hundred active/semi-active list members, so that
would be a problem rate approaching 1% !!!

Oh, and were the problems due to that stupid link-to-bank-account thing they
keep trying to get you to do? I've not yet tried to sell anything online,
so I just have PayPal-ability for my credit card.

> I would like to take a poll to see if the payment method IS the
> problem.

I've certainly never had a problem using PayPal. One solution you forgot to
mention is PGP-encrypted e-mailing of credit card info... ;-)

I've been following this because I may be trying to sell a few things at
some point and I'm curious about the best system to use for payment, w/o
hassling with checks, etc.

- Eric.