Re: [NTLK] Sosumi (Was: Newton Cadillac)

From: Mietek (mietek_at_icpnet.pl)
Date: Fri Apr 12 2002 - 14:05:25 EDT

newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net <newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net>

>>> What's so funny about Sosumi? Am I missing something here?
>

>> AFAIK it was a poke at Microsoft after a legal battle over system
>> sounds (hence the name 'so sue me')
>> hopefully someone on the list has the full story.
>> Ben.
>>
>As I remember it it was a poke at Apple records (Beatles)

"[...] when Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak formed Apple Computer, they were
sued by Apple Records, because of the similarity in their names. Apple
Computer was clearly doing something in a field outside of music, but
people love to f*cking sue each other. As part of an agreement, they were
obviously allowed to keep the name Apple, provided that they never
competed with Apple Records by making music of any kind.

A few years go by and Apple innovates the idea that computer users might
like to use their machines to record things, so their computers included
a free microphone for that purpose.The sounds they installed for
demonstration purposes were: a simple beep, Quack, the sound of a duck,
Wild Eep, Indigo, Droplet and finally, one staccato E-flat, which was
technically music, so as a way to thumb their noses at Apple Records,
they called it "Sosumi." Apple Records did not sue."

    Our faithful google.com led me to a page with a peculiar title, which
provided this explanation.
<http://www.negcap.com/NC1/sosumi.html>