Re: [NTLK] PayPal gripes -NOT!

From: Eric L. Strobel (fyzycyst_at_comcast.net)
Date: Sat Apr 13 2002 - 21:50:28 EDT

somewhere near the temporal coordinates of 4/13/02 2:03 PM, the entity known
as Stainless Steel Rat transmitted the following from
ratinox_at_peorth.gweep.net:

> * "Don Levick, M.D." <donlevick_at_earthlink.net> on Sat, 13 Apr 2002
> | Last year, I conducted the Newton Battery sale (from BTI) almost entirely
> | through PayPal and had absolutely NO PROBLEMS. I have also used PayPal for
> | multiple other purchases with no problem - eBay and otherwise. Just my 2
> | cents.
>
> I will say my piece about PayPal and be done with it.
>
> I have used the service, once or twice, without any problems. However,
> their terms of service, and the changes to them over the past couple of
> years has made me rather leery. Storing my credit card information is
> something I could live with, because I can easilly contest fraudulent
> transactions. But PayPal is not a bank, does not have the full benefits or
> protections of a bank, and now it wants access to my checking account,
> under the conditions that it cannot be held liable for anything. To that I
> say absolutely no way.
>
> There, that's it, no more from me.

So? Just don't give them access to your bank account! Continue using them
in a credit card-only mode. I've never even tried to figure out this whole
"link-to-a-bank-account" thing, because it sounds so screwy and doesn't make
any sense to me. I mean, really, once they have my CC info, what in the
world is the point of giving them bank account info? Since I can't fathom
it, I just ignore it and use PayPal as I've always used them -- as a way I
can pay by credit card online.

- Eric.