Re: [NTLK] PDFNewt

From: Eric L. Strobel (fyzycyst_at_comcast.net)
Date: Mon Apr 15 2002 - 10:07:38 EDT

on 4/15/02 9:30 AM, BOURGUIGNON D DvSI/SNPI MTY at
didier.bourguignon_at_francetelecom.com wrote:

>> Certainly! All the original Mac stuff was Pascal. That's
>> why all Mac C/C++
>> compilers since ancient times have had provisions to do 'pascal'
>> declaration. As I recall, what you find is that many Toolbox
>> calls in other
>> languages are just wrappers that ensure the arguments are
>> cast properly and
>> placed on the stack in Pascal ordering, then they do an
>> inline assembly call
>> to the appropriate Toolbox routine.
>>

> That's maybe why Mac OS is more secure than Win$

Well, I don't think we want to start a "holy war" on this list. :-)

But I seriously doubt that the innate 'pascalness' of the original Mac
Toolbox has much to do with it, at least not directly. Although, to be
honest, I suspect that in the malicious hacker community, there's probably
no faster way to ridicule than to espouse Pascal. ;-)

>> I suspect that Apple (& Borland) unnaturally prolonged the
>> existence of
>> Pascal for many years... ;-)
>>
>> - Eric.
>>

> I love this idea ;-)

Glad to entertain you! Of course, even if Pascal itself died, hunks of the
undead flesh of that zombie still live on in a language that assimilates and
adapts in a manner that would make the Borg proud - FORTRAN!!!
(F90/95/2K/...)

- Eric.