[NTLK] book readers

From: Vladimir Alexiev (Vladimir_at_worklogic.com)
Date: Fri Apr 19 2002 - 16:09:12 EDT

> Is there a
> NewtonBook reader that automatically compensates for the
> screen size and/or
> orientation? Or lets you change the font size on the fly?

Paperback. It only does plain text (no images, bold, columns etc), but is
best for non-technical books. For tech books I like converting from HTML
using NewtsCape. I don't like Press and Bookmaker because they involve a lot
of manual processing.

> I'm mildly considering getting a
> dedicated electronic book reader. For the ergonomics of it if
> nothing else.
> But I think the RCA small book reader has a screen not much
> bigger than the Newtons

The RocketBook (RCA-1100) has the same screen size as the newt, but I think
it's better for reading (doesn't reflect as much and has white background;
never used it though). But its current owner (Gemstar) are stupidly doing
everything in their power to kill it, such as actually releasing OS upgrades
that take away the ability to
- make your own books
- upload books from your PC. You're supposed to buy books only from Gemstar
using a phone connection!
If you get a RocketBook with older OS and never connect to Gemstar to
register or upgrade, you'll be ok though. There's good builder software to
make books from html. I think RocketBooks go for $150.

The new one going is Korean Hiebook. Same screen as newt, MP3 player,
headphones, linux(?) based, no SDKs yet however therefore not a lot of
software, book builder from HTML (not as good as NewtsCape, but runs on PC
thus faster). Goes for $300.

I got the newt mainly for book reading, after considering seriously RCA and
Hiebook. The reflectivity of the screen was a disappointment. Next will be
getting some less reflective screen protector.