Re: [NTLK] beware of fakes: was: Best PDA Stylus/Pen

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Fri Apr 19 2002 - 17:09:12 EDT

Hmmmm. Maybe a fake, but a darn good one! I still have the box. Underneath,
it says "Sanford rotring GmbH - D-22510 Hamburg - Germany -
http://www.rotring.com". The box is dark gray, has the rotring logo on the
cover, at lower left. To the right is a red circle with a piece of
handwriting stuff. The inside box is in plastic, same color than the
cardboard one. It again has rotring on the lower left on the cover, and you
have to press a switch made of a red circle to open the box. Then, there is
a plastic bag to hold the pen inside the box with a little piece of paper
with various rotring pen on one side and the refills you can get on the
other side. The rotring logo is at the top on each side. Underneath the
refills list, there is a mention that says:

"For questions or comments regarding your Rotring writing instrument contact
Consumer Service: Sanford, 2711 Washington Blvd., Bellwood, IL 60104
www.sanfordcorp.com 1-800-323-0749
A Division of Newell Rubbermaid"

So, this is all fake? I've checked the Sanford web site, and it seems real
to me, not something remote in the US, but right here, in the middle of it.
They have the brand rotring on display on their home page, although they
don't provide any link.

I think that your reseller is probably right when he sells you your made in
Japan version of the Rotring Quattro. But I think that whether he doesn't
know, or he prefers you not knowing that there is also rotring pens for
sale, here in the US, that are about half what you would be paying, but
they're made in Japan.

So, you decide. Pay $60 for a German Rotring Quattro, or pay $35 for a
Japanese Rotring Quattro. They seem to have identical features, and Will
should be able to tell us if the box and the insert I described match what
he got with his German version.

-Laurent.

choke v.: 1. [common] To reject input, often ungracefully. "NULs make System
V's lpr(1) choke." "I tried building an EMACS binary to use X, but cpp(1)
choked on all those #defines." See barf, gag, vi. 2. [MIT] More generally,
to fail at any endeavor, but with some flair or bravado; the popular
definition is "to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory."