Re: [NTLK] Action Names Manual?

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_mac.com)
Date: Sat Apr 20 2002 - 14:58:15 EDT

on 4/20/02 12:10 AM, Ed Kummel at tech_ed_at_yahoo.com wrote:

> Hmmm, I've been using AN on my MP2kU for quite a while
> now...I have not had it do anything buggy and have
> found it to be quite powerful. I can't live without
> that overview feature starting up everytime I turn on
> my Newt. And the HyperNames is a function I wished the
> Newt had from the beginning. Either I may not be
> hammering my Newt hard enough, or there is something
> conflicting with the versions that every one else
> has...

Ed, try this:

Open Calls. Select a call, and link it to a name that you know has calls,
appointments or todos linked to it. Now, open Names and find the name you
linked the note to. Now, open up Contact History. Check the last check
box--the one with the question mark, while the other check boxes are still
checked and see if you don't get an error. Now, don't do this, but if you
were to close Names at this point, you will not be able to open Names again
until you reset the Newton and unlink the call card from the name. I'm
sorry, but that's a horrible bug. Now, you can get these items to display if
you uncheck all the other options, but it still makes you afraid to use this
feature. BTW, this bug nips you if you add any third-party link to a name
besides notes. They seem to work fine, strangely enough.

Second bug. Open up the built-in Dates app. Make sure that todos are
visible. If you have any AN todos with a priority below 4, then you are
ready to roll. If not, either set a priority below 4 or check off a ToDo as
done. Once you do this, then hit the overview button. Bang! an error. In
order to view overview in Dates, there can be no todos with a priority below
4 and no displayed, checked-off ToDos. Again, for those who like to use the
built-in Dates app, this ruins this functionality.

I'm sure that you will find these two bugs, as every person I've pointed
them out to has had these problems. Just be careful with the link option in
Names. You can really panic yourself if you aren't careful. :-)

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland