Re: [NTLK] Orinoco Silver and Airport

From: Bernie A. Goltermann (bagoltermann_at_ksaits.com)
Date: Mon Apr 22 2002 - 07:48:07 EDT

> 1. OS 9 or OS X?
>
> 2. Why alpha2 not alpha3? I'd strongly suggest using alpha3.
>
> 3. No password for the wireless network, right?
>
> 4. You have other machines using this wireless network getting DHCP
> addresses from your AirPort without problem, right?
>
> 5. At exactly what point are things failing on the Newt, and what error
> message are you getting?

     1. Using OS9
     2. OK, I'm using alpha3 now.
     3. Right !
     4. Yes, I can connect my desktop Mac without problem
     and see the DHCP is working and giving me an IP address
     by looking at TCP/IP control panel. I can also see
     that bridging is working as I can launch Netscape and
     get email as normal and surf using Airport. I usually
     have my Mac set to Lan but I have been playing around
     with switching it to use airport and AP base station.
     5. I'm a little farther along now on the Newt. When
     trying Simplemail I see that I get DHCP to give me an
     IP address. After that I get an error message after
     time out that says it can't resolve my mail server
     name. I get similar error when trying out Net Hopper.

     When I switch back to my pclan card and choose the
     connection setup for it everything works like
     advertised. I can see mail and surf on my Newt.

     One other thing, I've successfully connected through
     WiFi to my Mac with connection utils. Newton > AP Base
     Station < Mac but I suppose it is using Appletalk so
     that's why it works.

     I've gone and retyped the IP address for DNS and
     checked and re-checked...

     I know it probably somethin simple but I'm not seeing
     it...

     Regards,
     Bernie