Re: [NTLK] Taking notes on Newton

From: Karel Jansens (kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be)
Date: Mon Apr 22 2002 - 08:07:58 EDT

On Sunday 21 April 2002 23:08, Jesse Garnier wrote:
> Stephen Swift (aka Burnum) wrote not long ago (4/21/02 4:44 PM):
> > I have a MP 120 and really am disappointed at it's handwriting
> > recognition. I believe it's Newton OS 2.0. I can write much faster
> > with pen/paper and I can only get 90% accuracy. My problem is my
> > scrawl is a cross between prin= t
> > and cursive. My letters looks like printed letters but I rarely pick
> > up th= e
> > pen and the Newton gets confused when I select "printing" but if I
> > choose cursive, it really has trouble interpreting the letters. Does
> > anyone have any tips? Or should I just upgrade to a MP 2100?
>
> A 2100 would be much, much better, but even it can't work miracles.
>
> I don't use HWR for most of my notes because *I* can barely go back and
> read what I wrote, yet alone expect my Newt to be able to translate
> them.
>
> A good rule of thumb is that to expect good HWR, write as though you're
> writing for someone else to read.
>
> If I follow that rule, for instance when I compose e-mail, I can still
> print briskly and reach near-perfect recognition. (Most problems are
> with caps/no caps and apostrophes. Darn 'em.)

I have just about 100% recognition on my Ump2k using printed characters,
and between 95 and 99% using cursive. And most of that is in Dutch! (many
many thanks to Paul Guyot who put the Dutch dictionaries on his site!!!)

The biggest problem for me was the Dutch 'ij'; it is sort of an extra
vowel in Dutch and I am used to writing it in one go, even in printed
text. Unfortunately, the Newton then will insist that it is in fact a 'ÿ'.
That is the only thing that required some User Retraining.

Surprisingly, my Newton won't complain if I occasionally forget to lift
the stylus beween two characters (like between the 'h' and 'e' in 'the'),
it just doesn't like my 'ij''s.

--
Karel Jansens
kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be

<This sigline under construction. Come back soon.>