Re: [NTLK] SimpleMail partial email list download

From: Jeremy Bond Shepherd (jbond_at_eskimo.com)
Date: Mon Apr 22 2002 - 13:09:28 EDT

At 10:54 AM 4/22/2002 -0400, newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net wrote:

>I've been having the same problem occasionally with SimpleMail. It hangs as
>you describe (i.e. Storing) on a particular email message. If I reset the
>Newton and retry, SimpleMail hangs on the same message. If I delete the
>offending email from the server, reset and retry, SimpleMail is able to
>complete downloading other messages.
>
>This looks like a SimpleMail bug. I'm waiting until it happens again so that
>I can capture the offending email and report the problem to SimpleMail's
>author.

Is it possible that you're downloading a really long e-mail using a modem
(rather than an Ethernet) connection?

If so, this could be resulting from the bug apparently in NIE's PPP stack
that truncates too-long frames. I get this when downloading from a POP3
server with a lot of messages on it, say >60. SimpleMail issues the UIDL
command to the POP3 server, which responds, but the frame is too long so
NIE truncates it and the Newt never sees the complete frame, so it hangs.

If you are using a modem, can you try downloading the same e-mail over
Ethernet and see if that doesn't solve the problem?

-Jeremy