Re: [NTLK] Taking notes on Newton

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Apr 22 2002 - 17:36:47 EDT

Here are four things that will help your handwriting
tremendously:
1) Upgrade to an MP2100 (or 2000)
2) Get Pauls alt.rec program
3) Open up the Notes and set the preferences to
Cursive. Then tap the Options button and select
"Letter Shapes" From here, go through the entire
alphabet and select those letters that more accuratly
reflect the way you write the character. Make sure
that if there is a character that you don't write a
certain way the Newt shows, that you say "Never" for
that character! When you're done, go ahead and set the
recognition back to Printing.
4) use expansions! Sometimes when I write certain
words, the Newton recognizes them wrong. For instance,
the word "the". Sometimes the Newt recognizes it as
"tne" or "t4e". I've used expansions to tell the Newt
that whenever it sees "tne" (there is no such word as
"tne") to put "the" there instead. I have well over a
hundred expansions on my Newt...(thanks to alt.rec) to
prevent common mis-recogntions on my Newt, plus I use
expansions to expand words that I just don't feel like
writing out so often ("MS" for "Microsoft" and "QS"
for "QuickSilver" and so forth)
If you use these 4 tips, you will never again have
handwriting problems on your Newt!
Ed
web/gadget guru
http://npds.tek-ed.com (my NPDS server and it's new
subdomain)

--- Jesse Garnier <jgarnier_at_mac.com> wrote:

> Stephen Swift (aka Burnum) wrote not long ago
> (4/21/02 4:44 PM):
>
> > I have a MP 120 and really am disappointed at it's
> handwriting recognition.
> > I believe it's Newton OS 2.0. I can write much
> faster with pen/paper and I
> > can only get 90% accuracy. My problem is my
> scrawl is a cross between prin=
> > and cursive. My letters looks like printed
> letters but I rarely pick up th=
> > pen and the Newton gets confused when I select
> "printing" but if I choose
> > cursive, it really has trouble interpreting the
> letters. Does anyone have
> > any tips? Or should I just upgrade to a MP 2100?
>
> A 2100 would be much, much better, but even it can't
> work miracles.
>
> I don't use HWR for most of my notes because *I* can
> barely go back and read
> what I wrote, yet alone expect my Newt to be able to
> translate them.
>
> A good rule of thumb is that to expect good HWR,
> write as though you're
> writing for someone else to read.
>
> If I follow that rule, for instance when I compose
> e-mail, I can still print
> briskly and reach near-perfect recognition. (Most
> problems are with caps/no
> caps and apostrophes. Darn 'em.)
>
> --Jesse

=====