Re: [NTLK] Taking notes on Newton

From: Karel Jansens (kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be)
Date: Mon Apr 22 2002 - 18:49:35 EDT

On Monday 22 April 2002 14:44, Marco Mailand wrote:
> > Unfortunately, the Newton then will insist that it is in fact a 'ÿ'.
> > That is the only thing that required some User Retraining.
>
> If you're writing in printed letters you might try to have a
> auto-replace entry for 'ÿ -> ij in your user dictionary. With that and
> provided that you wait a bit longer before and after writing ij you
> might get an automatic insertion of the right characters and have to
> remove only the spaces later.

I've thought about that, but in the end I complied to the Newt. I now
write my 'ij''s the way it wants me to.

> > Surprisingly, my Newton won't complain if I occasionally forget to
> > lift the stylus beween two characters (like between the 'h' and 'e' in
> > 'the'), it just doesn't like my 'ij''s.
>
> I noticed this as well with the printed HWR . However, with using
> cursive HWR it doesnt matter at all and I just tried the ij combination
> on my german MP2100 and it recognised it properly after the first
> correction (pull-down menu). I wrote a letter y with one dot only over
> the j. Also writing the ij within a word gives at least one coice right
> with ij in the HWR pull-down. Maybe the combination of cursive HWR and
> german NOS 2.1 would be a better choice for you?

I have developed sort of a routine: Often, when writing in English, I
switch to the cursive recognizer (resulting in a 99+% accuracy) while I
write Dutch exclusively with the printed recognizer (because there are
more words with accents and tremas in Dutch). It works. So I don't change
it.

--
Karel Jansens
kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be

<This sigline under construction. Come back soon.>