Re: [NTLK] Happy Chappy!

From: Laurent Daudelin (nemesys_at_cox.rr.com)
Date: Tue Apr 23 2002 - 22:59:10 EDT

on 23/04/02 22:53, Michael Mays at chaosmonk_at_earthlink.net wrote:

> Unfortunately, I don't have a Macintosh computer. I have a Sony laptop
> with infrared, a Visor with infrared, and my trusty no-backlight Newton
> 130. Any idea how I might get this pulled off?

Are you trying to use your 130 via infrared with your laptop? That won't
work for 2 reasons: your 130 doesn't implement the IrDA infrared protocol,
but somethink like ASK from Sharp. Only NOS-2.1-based Newton implement the
basic requirement to call them IrDA devices. Second, AFAIR, the infrared
transfer works only with Macintosh computers.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but you'd rather know now instead of wasting
your precious time on something that'd never work...

-Laurent.

dangling pointer n.: [common] A reference that doesn't actually lead anywhere (in C and some other languages, a pointer that doesn't actually point at anything valid). Usually this happens because it formerly pointed to something that has moved or disappeared. Used as jargon in a generalization of its techspeak meaning; for example, a local phone number for a person who has since moved to the other coast is a dangling pointer. Compare dead link.