Re: [NTLK] Backup failure via e-net to mac

From: Marco Mailand (Newton2k1_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Apr 24 2002 - 03:49:13 EDT

> I'm having problems backing up my newt to my os10 box. I have completed
> FULL backups of the newt and 32meg card via ethernet, but when I try it
now
> I get a disconnect and -1 failure.
If it worked all the time and you didn't e.g. reinstall the MacOS (I think
you have to run NCU in classic mode, under MacOS9.x) the reason might be a
corrupted soup. Candiates are packages and all soups but especially Names,
Dates, Works and Notes caused myself error -1. The hardest part is to
identify which soup and if you know that which entry it was. For the first
there's a boring method of staring onto the screen and watching at which
phase of the b/u it stops. For searching the culprit soup entry you could,
e.g. export the soup in question and look into the temporary file with e.g.
BBedit and look for the last entry. This item or the item after needs to be
examined closer. I simply erased this item (after pencil b/u :-) or copy'd
and paste'd its content into a new note or name card. With the MP2100 of
friend we found corrupted entries in dates, names and notes and on my
Newtons I also had once a corrupted pkg, preventing complete b/u.

--
With best regards / Viele Gruesse

Marco Mailand http://slsbd.psi.ch/timing http://slsbd.psi.ch/~mmailand https://www.paypal.com/refer/pal=YYD3VUXUVD2YG