Re: [NTLK] new to list

From: Daniel Padilla (daniel.padilla_at_wanadoo.es)
Date: Wed Apr 24 2002 - 07:51:08 EDT

    Welcome robert

> I have a few things I'd like to do with my Newton and need some
> recommendations on how to do them.
>
> 1) I'd like to be able to connect to the internet and send mobile
> faxes. What hardware and software will this require and how do I get
> it? If it helps, I do have a Data enabled phone (ericsson).

    You need some way to connect the phone to the newton. Options are via a PC
card or via serial. What the newton needs is to see a regular modem that
answers to AT commands.

    Sofware?
For faxes, probably you only need the modem driver. There are some at
http://www.unna.org/unna/drivers/modem/

For Internet, you need the standard set of Newton Internet Enabler plus some
clients for E-mail,Web browsing, FTP, etc. http://www.unna.org/unna/internet/

                http://www.unna.org/unna/apple/software/Internet/NIE2/

    The one that comes to my mind is PowerTrans, http://www.travel-cs.com/

> 3) Currently, all my computers are running OSX and are USB/ Firewire/
> ethernet machines. How do I connect and get my newton to talk to the
> computers? Is there special software that needs to be installed on my
> desk and lap tops like palm has?

    The ususal way to connect the newton to a desktop is via the Newton
Connection Utilities, if your newt is a MP2x00.
http://www.unna.org/unna/apple/connection_utils/ but they need a serial or a
ethertalk connection.

> 4) I'm an architect and have heard that there are project management
> and cad software available. Can anyone give me a heads up?

maybe http://www.unna.org/unna/applications/PocketHouseMap/

for project management, I don't use any, anybody?

Daniel Padilla