Re: [NTLK] OT: PC notebook advice

From: Chet Johns (cjohns_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Apr 24 2002 - 12:40:08 EDT

Not many pc notebooks with firewire. For that matter not many pc desktops
either. I just talked a friend of mine into installing an orange micro
firewire card into his pc to download and edit his old VHS movies. He had
been using USB which was terribly slow. If he wants a firewire notebook
cheep, someone on this list posted a link (in the last couple of days) to a
reseller for newtons who also carries refurb 233 pentium notebooks for under
$500 (sorry I couldn't relocate the URL, I think it was J&K something). He
could add a firewire pcmcia adapter card for another $30. But if money is no
object, yes the Vaio is a cool little portable. I use my pismo powerbook for
movie editing, but have to use a firewire external drive as editing movies
will eat up 30 GB really fast. I was looking at the new 60 GB 2.5 inch hard
drives which now go for under $400. Also he misses out on imovie which is
head and shoulders better for downloading and editing video than anything
I've seen for the pc.
-Chet