[NTLK] My Experience With Gem :\

From: Michael Mays (chaosmonk_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Apr 24 2002 - 16:49:20 EDT

All right. Today my upgraded MP2000 arrived via UPS from Gem
Enterprises. It was extremely well packed, in an oversized box for what
was really necessary, with a massive wad of bubblewrap surrounding the
unit itself. However, despite the fact that they had told me it would
include all the physical items it should come with, one of the two
brackets that holds the lid to the back is missing. I've noticed other
people say they've had gummy adhesive stuff on the back of their Newts
from Gem; this is the case here as well. My guess is they bought a lot
of them from a company that was using them for employees and those are
ID tags or anti-theft devices of some sort.

Aside from the issue with the case lid, there are a couple minor
scratches on the screen, and some marks that look like someone tried to
poke the screen with a ballpoint pen. :-( Anyone know how I can clean
this off without damaging the screen? I dunno what stuff to use, if a
certain cleanser will make the screen melt away on me or whatever. The
unit is also missing one of the two aftermarket styli I was promised,
and the battery doesn't seem to charge well (though they warned me that
that might be the case and that they didn't warranty the batteries).
The backlight is responsive and bright and there doesn't seem to be any
other issues.

Anyways, my real question is, what would you do about this? The guy I
talked to at Gem Enterprises, plus a different one whom I was
corresponding with via E-mail, both assured me my unit would have all
the pieces it should. It's a nuisance to deal with the lid flapping
around in the back, though not a severe one. If anyone has dealt with
Gem and had a similar issue or problem, what did you do and how much
were they willing to help you? Is there a way to fix the bracket or get
a replacement, as the bracket itself seems to be missing? Or am I
making too big a deal of this and should live with what I've gotten?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you guys can give me.

Michael Mays