Re: [NTLK] new to list

From: Laurent Daudelin (nemesys_at_cox.rr.com)
Date: Wed Apr 24 2002 - 23:30:07 EDT

on 24/04/02 23:22, Chris Searles at csearles_at_netcologne.de wrote:

>>> Could you please explain how NCU runs native in OS X? I thought you had
>>> to use Classic for this because of the NCU extensions such as "Apple
>>> Modem Tool" and "XTND Power Enabler" which NCU requires in your System
>>> Folder in order for you to connect.
>>
>> Read again ;-) The original poster is specifically mentioning "Newten",
>> which is a native tool on OS X that can works over a serial connection. The
>> gotcha is that you need to have a Keyspan serial adapter, or maybe other
>> similar serial to USB adapter, since OS X doesn't support serial. Newten is
>> actually a front end on UnixNPI, IIRC...
>>
>> -Laurent.
>
> But Laurent, the original poster of the thread was looking for something
> (I quote):
>
> "3) Currently, all my computers are running OSX and are USB/ Firewire/
> ethernet machines. How do I connect and get my newton to talk to the
> computers? Is there special software that needs to be installed on my
> desk and lap tops like palm has?"
>
> i.e. something that will let him do backups, exchange information, etc.,
> I assume. It was my understanding however that Newten can ONLY be used as
> a package installer. But please correct me if I'm wrong...

You're right. The only way to go, then, is NCU in Classic...

-Laurent.

careware /keir'weir/ n.: A variety of shareware for which either the author suggests that some payment be made to a nominated charity or a levy directed to charity is included on top of the distribution charge. Syn. charityware; compare crippleware, sense 2.